Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Summer of Fun and Games!

This summer I purposely slowed us down and it’s been wonderful!!  Hannah did not want to play soccer and we took a break from gymnastics and piano too.  Other than 4 nights of swimming lessons next week, that’s it for our activity commitments this summer.  What a treat this has been!!

We’re normally home for the night sometime between 5:30 and 6:00 and the evening is ours.  Summer meals are normally light and fairly quick to put together so we have time after supper to spend some quality time together.  Sometimes it’s a bike or scooter ride, reading together, watching a TV show or, games.   All of a sudden Hannah is able to play ‘grown up’ games and oh how we’re enjoying this time together!

The first new game she learned was ‘Uno.’IMG_1429

The box indicated the game was for children age 7+ so I wasn’t  sure if it would be a bit difficult for her.  She caught on within minutes and quickly began beating Mommy fair and square.  When she played this series of cards I quickly realized my fears were for naught.  Hannah knew exactly how to play Uno – and win! IMG_1431

Hannah’s little friends K & G told her about a card game that they play called ‘Trash.’  I looked it up on YouTube and it became an instant hit with both of us!IMG_4190 (2)

Here is a video of m sweet girl playing.  Trash is a great game that she has already taught to one of her friends!

Our newest game is Skip-Bo and we just learned it Tuesday night.  It’s more challenging than the others but she’s doing well and only 2 nights in she’s playing with strategy!  Tonight she chose not to play one of her cards because she knew it would help me out.  Little stinker!!IMG_4333

Hannah’s victory pose.  (LOL!  Yes, her legs really are that long!)Skip Bo success

Are there any other card games you would like to recommend to us? 

12 comments:

  1. Sleeping Queens. Short and sweet and I guarantee you'll both love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lissa! I just looked up Sleeping Queens online and it does look like fun! I'll keep my eyes open for it. I'm not sure if Hannah is quite ready for it but if not...soon! Thanks so much for the suggestion as Sleeping Queens as it's brand new to us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kings in the corners was always a big hit in our house. It is played with a regular deck of cards and is like solitare, but both players are playing on the same piles.
    http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/how-to-play-kings-in-the-corner.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rat-a-Tat Cat is good. Dutch Blitz is our family favorite. Would be good for when you have four people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I cannot believe how long her legs are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suggest the game "SET" - available from amazon.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're big Sleeping Queens fans here. We'll play a round with Hannah when she comes out to see if she likes it. I think we've been playing it for about two years, so maybe from when the girls turned 7? Too lazy to check the blog, heh. My girls also love Crazy 8s, which you just play with a regular deck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crazy eights is very popular with us!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been playing crazy eights, go fish, old maid, pig, slapjack since I was 6 with my grandparents.
    Summer time is the best time do do swim lessons. I swam 4 times a week at my local pool. Great for the back and overall fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've just started playing Yahtzee! We taught our girl the top section first and just played it several times before introducing her to the bottom section.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uno is our only card game at the moment, but Marin enjoys all these board games too: Candyland, High Ho Cherry Oh, Operation (his is Doc McStuffins themed), & Lets Go Fishing (the one you "fish" for spinning plastic fish). He also has Mouse Trap, though it is a bit complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blink. It's a game with it's own cards. So fun! I've taught it to kinders and junior high kids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...